Making New Year resolutions this year? New Year’s resolutions are the perfect opportunity for those who have failed to start making the changes that they said they would make next week, next month, or perhaps when winter starts. What can be more important than being fit physically, mentally, spiritually, practicing and disciplining your body to remain fit and healthy?
Wouldn’t it be a good idea to include yoga on your New Year resolution list?
Reasons to set yoga as a New Year resolution:
Yoga keeps your body healthy. Yoga is good for mental health as well as physical health. Deep breathing and focusing on poses can calm stress, help with issues such as anxiety and depression. Yoga’s mind/body therapeutic aspect can benefit patients coping with serious illness.
Yoga gives you a sharper mind. Yoga makes you a wiser and calmer person, it does more that making your body flexible.
Yoga would help you discover skills and abilities you never knew you had. It also helps you to channel your positive energy toward achieving a set goal and being a better person.
Yoga improves your flexibility, prevents body pains, illness and also detoxifies the body, regular yoga practice helps releasing stress and toxins deeply stored in the body.
Some ideas to keep your resolution “alive” could be:
1. Start small. Make resolutions that you think you can keep. Do it day by day. Set short term goals.
2. Design a daily routine. Maybe starting with 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Get a friend involved. Make sure you don’t do it alone. Studies have shown that humans are more likely to achieve a set goal when we are involved in a community of like-minded people headed towards achievement of that same goal.
4. Identify the habits you want to change and honor your decision to change them. Unhealthy behaviors develop over the course of time. Thus, replacing unhealthy behaviors with healthy ones requires time. Don’t get overwhelmed and think that you have to reassess everything in your life. Instead, work toward changing one thing at a time.
5. Invest in wellness and positive activities. Try to invest more of your time, energy and money, in things that will honor your resolution of being on a healthy space. You will always find free classes and events around the city.